Sunday, August 24, 2008

Costume Party at Ali's New Flat


Ali's flat warming party was last night (Pictures Here); the costumes had to be made out of newspaper, bags or cardboard. I went a bit overboard w/ my outfit but hey why not. It took me about 5 hours to put it together. Me being new to NZ I had nothing necessary to complete the job so I was off to the hardware store for some paint and utility knife, the second hand store for a teeshirt and dress, and finally the dollar store for some fake diamonds and string. I wanted to be a gladiator so I went to the all knowing Google for some help finding out what one looks like. I came across this site called Instructables (http://www.instructables.com). Pretty damn cool place to find instructions for making a lot of things, not just costumes. I used the instructions for the belt and the rest was all me. A sword from cardboard with a couple diamonds glued on the pommel. A shoulder plate for off hand defense in case another warrior dared to show or step up :D. Wrist bands from the cut up dress and an old gray shirt cut down the front w/ some ties holding it closed. I also made a head band w/ another diamond in the center but paint got on the inside and when I put it on I would get a black ring around my head so I didn't use this piece. I am pleased with the overall outcome! What do you think?

Getting to the party was a bit more... how do you say... challenging. I met Marek at the bus stop and we had to hang out for about 15 minutes. Needless to say most people driving by looked over to stare or made comments. Dressed up like this in your own house or at a party is one thing, going out in public is another. I kept a smile on and thought to myself how proud I am of being able to grin at all those jealous people that don't have costume making SKILLZ!
Sitting on the bus proved to be another challenge, the slats don't bend; this means I'm going to be standing all nigh too, doh!
The party was great fun. So much drinking, laughing and dancing made for a long night that felt entirely too short. I met most of these people while staying at the Worldwide Backpackers here in Welly. I am extremely pleased to have met these great people the of whom I now consider friends: Marek, Connor and Ali. Not to say that the rest of the people are any less nice or friendly, you know what I mean. My costume was a hit and if I may say so won the Gold! Ali mentioned multiple times that she had wished that she had some prize to give, no worries Ali!

Today I didn't get out of bed until 3pm and still fighting to think clearly. I can thank my friend Marek for getting my ass home and paying for the taxi.


http://www.new.facebook.com/album.php?aid=37136&l=4faa4&id=730638300

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Damn good party, yeah. I did get up at 2pm and it was a hard day today. see again soon.
Marek