Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Entertaining the Queen Day's 3-5

Check out pictures here.
Day 3: I hear a sure fire way to end a relationship is to do something in tandem...

We didn't have that problem at all; Jen paddled my ass around while I did some fishing. I could have done with out the comment here and there about sore shoulders and arms and I think I did well holding back the urge to give her some real pain to whine about...
Being of the hunter gatherer gender I felt it more important to make sure my tribe had sustenance. Not 5 minutes after dropping line I had my first real action. Reeling the bad boy in was a bit more work and extremely disappointing because I had to throw it back. The 7 foot Mako that I had in my hands was 6 inches to small. I should have just kept it anyway but Jen was all over me for even considering it... Damn goody goodies. O and thanks a lot Jen for not having the camera ready, GOSH now no one is going to believe me! Dinner turned out to be a bit less exciting, Coweye, what the locals consider crap/carp. We on the other hand liked it; a nice white, non fishy tasting morsel that accompanied our pasta and veggies nicely. I'm thinking the shark may have been better...

This is the sunset from our first night camping, pictures never really capture everything. When is someone going to create a picture that contains feelings, smells, a breeze...? Now that would be the shit!



Day 4: The Tide 101
O man there was nothing getting us out of the tent. It was almost noon before we got to moving our asses. As it turns out this wasn't such a great idea. Don't get me wrong if I had it my way we'd have spent 17 more days in there :)... By the time we started moving the weather sun that was so brightly shinning all morning was replaced by dark gray/grey clouds and the tide was out. Not so bad you would think except for the fact that nearly the entire head of the sound had receded some 200 meters. We meaning I had to drag the kayak while Jen hooted about her jandle breaking under the mud; 8+ years is a good life for a flip flop! The weather the rest of the day wasn't very nice, rain and wind until we finally landed at our camp spot. We ended up covering a good distance 10+km all the while I was singing me song.

Yo, ho, haul together,
hoist the colors high.
Heave ho,
thieves and beggars,
never shall we die.

The king and his men
stole the queen from her bed
and bound her in her Bones.
The seas be ours
and by the powers
where we will we'll roam.

Yo, ho, haul together,
hoist the colors high.
Heave ho, thieves and beggars,
never say we die.

Some men have died
and some are alive
and others sail on the sea
– with the keys to the cage...
and the Devil to pay
we lay to Fiddler's Green!

The bell has been raised
from it's watery grave...
Do you hear it's sepulchral tone?
We are a call to all,
pay head the squall
and turn your sail toward home!

Yo, ho, haul together,
hoist the colors high.
Heave ho, thieves and beggars,
never say we die.

We're sure glad that we continued on to the further camping area. It was just us and another Weka. I took some more time to drop a line but didn't have any luck and we were ready to call it a day. It's pretty hard fighting whitecaps all day. Whitecaps, for those of you not in the know, are waves that break and have a white foam top as the water falls ahead of the wave :P You know that ones that surfers are always trying to ride...

Another pasta dinner with veggies and some tuna that Jen brought from the states. She didn't think she was going to be able to eat so she brought her staples from home: wheat tortillas, tuna packets, turkey, scroggin (gorp/trailmix), energy bars... It probably didn't help that I told her she was going to starve. I was pleasantly surprised by her ability to eat a wide variety of foods. Most chicks I've dated are picky.

Even with it not being a superb day I couldn't have asked for better company in a better place.
Yarrrrrrrrr

No comments: